Sunday, October 17, 2010
After I cut out the pattern for the leaves, I stacked my fabric for them as shown in the picture. I cut all of them out at one time with a quarter inch seam allowance. Knowing how hard these points would be to "sew, flip and turn," I spray-starched each of them for stability by soaking them with the spray starch and let them dry completely. Once they were dry, I stitched each of them to a layer of coordinating colored felt (orange on orange felt, etc.)with the quarter inch seam allowance left with the raw edge. Leaves are not smooth on the edges, so this gives them a more natural look. I free-motioned stitched in the veins in the leaves with metallic thread to give them a little pizzazz! I happened to have a gold metallic thread and therefore, I used that. Finished, I attached the 1" piece of Velcro to the back of each leaf. I still have 2 more pumpkins to make, and I shall have October and part of Nov.'s attachments finished, as I plan to leave the leaves on the quilt for November.